For Immediate Release
August 3, 2016
For media inquiries, contact:
Megan Flowers, Secretary Officer for the CU Immigration Forum
CU Immigration Forum Now Seeking Nominations For
The 3rd Annual Immigrant Welcome Awards
The CU Immigration Forum is currently accepting nominations from the general public in consideration of the individuals and organizations who have made significant contributions, taken risks, and have provided leadership for the wellbeing and success of immigrants in Champaign County. The CU Immigration Forum will accept nominations for the following award categories through August 22, 2016. After the nominations have closed, a specially formed committee will select the award winners. The award recipients will be officially recognized at the 3rd Annual Immigrant Friendly Awards Ceremony & Celebration on the afternoon of Saturday, September 24, 2016 at the Urbana Free Library, 210 E. Green Street, Urbana, Illinois. A finalized program is to be announced.
To nominate, please fill out the short nominations forum using the following link: https://docs.google.com/a/
universityymca.org/forms/d/e/ 1FAIpQLSelZ4DCPF0NRlzJ9Jxe1HXG r8uCBOYTvQmGJidJXzsCLnCV1A/ viewform
The following categories of distinguished recognition include:
- Distinguished Service Award – An individual who has demonstrated long-term commitment to the local immigrant community
- Leadership Award – An individual who has been a strong leader in the immigrant community
- Student Leadership Award - A student who has shown promise as an important leader in immigration issues, locally or beyond
- Community Organization Award – A Nonprofit or community-based organization, which demonstrates exceptional commitment to serving and advocating for local immigrants
- Institutional Award - Local government or other large community institution, which has made significant changes in response to the growing immigrant population
- Business Leadership Award (Any business) - A business that contributes to the local immigrant community through advocacy, donations or in-kind services
- Business Leadership Award (An Immigrant Owned Business)- A business that contributes to the local immigrant community through advocacy, donations or in-kind services and/or a locally owned immigrant owned business that has contributed to the local economic development of CU
This event is part of Welcoming Week (September 16-25), a national week of events that works to bring communities bring together, immigrants and U.S.-born residents, in a spirit of unity and to raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone – including new Americans. In the Fall of 2015, the cities of Champaign and Urbana have signed a joint proclamation last year declaring September 24 officially Immigrant Welcome Awards Day.
The CU Immigration Forum is proud to recognize and celebrate the contributions of individuals and organizations that have created a welcoming atmosphere for immigrants in Champaign County. For more information about the event including past award recipients, visit: www.cuimmigrationforum.org.